Sunday 13 July 2008

Mr Right (2008)

While checking the Prince Charles Cinema's website two weeks ago I stumbled across the notice for a premiere of a independent romantic comedy. The difference? It was a gay romantic comedy or as David Morris and Jacqui Morris, the writers/directors called it, a hom-com. As I had nothing better to do, I went there on thursday. It was great. Funny, clever, set in London, the kind of thing Richard Curtis would have done if he was gay (which I intend as a compliment, by the way). I laughed so much and was so involved that I completely forgot the film was shot on digital, which is one of the biggest turn offs in modern cinema for me...

It's the story of three gay couples and a straight one (although we know the ending of that relationship from the beginning) but for a change all characters have their sexuality sorted, so they can take the story elsewhere. Plus as the director points out in the official site, they avoided the easy shots of naked men, which I am sure would have help to sell the film.

I really hope the film does well. I have recommended it to a few friends, and I hope it gets a wider release than the Prince Charles...

PS - IMDb says the film is 2006 for some reason...

Here's a link to the film's official website.

No comments: